Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Art can help when science fails


Why pain relief can be the purpose of art 

I few days ago I was reading and reflecting for the nth time about the purpose of art. The recent controversy over my compatriot exhibiting exotic fruits on a wall — urged my reflection. Most of the concepts I come across were about why people should appreciate art: enjoy beauty in a private or public space, reflecting about an ethical point, chill out from stress -- among the many reasons art makes a difference in our lives, do we realize or not.

A student of psychiatry, Emily Payton, told her own experience in a hospital, assisting patients terminally ill. Where drugs won't stop the sickness, surgeons could not do any better, science could ultimately do nothing — art proved being helpful. A young man put a note by his bed: “I like music. It makes me happy :)”

He's dying and there's still something that makes him happy. And it's not a material thing, it's not a new dope, definitely nothing practical. It is music, it's art, only created to give emotion. Something magically able to distract attention from a state of desperation.  All of a sudden I realized that as an artist I create something way more powerful than I ever thought. It's not only about my ego to self express and shine. What I do has got the power of making people al little happier - regardless of my intention, which could be the selfiest possible.

A gentleman recently purchased my painting and contextually wrote me the story of his wife being seriously ill. I was happy for the sale but honestly thought - hasn't he got anything else to worry about but buying a watercolor? After reading Emily’s story, I thought he did the best thing he could do, beside taking care of his wife. I felt stupid and admired him.

There's no better time to surround ourselves with genuine art than difficult times. A painting that brings the living energy of another human, the artist, is the best cure to live a happier daily life! No matter how long we are going to be around!

May art contribute to make your new year the happiest so far!

Francesco

Please leave a comment and visit www.francescofontana.com

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful article , may we continue to paint what we love and love what we paint , sharing that joy with others around us. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, let's keep creating and share! Happy new year to you!

      Delete
  2. This is so true. A hospital acquired an entire collection of my work because I painted it with the intention of healing and it was felt by those viewing it, patients and visitors. I love the piece of yours I just purchased. It makes me joy and happiness helps my immune system stronger and that helps me stay healthy. Thanks again for your posts. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, it should have said... make me feel joyful..

      Delete
    2. Thank you Linda, for both the purchase and the comment. I am sure guests and staff at the hospital love your colorful art! Stay healthy and keep smiling!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. Please come back soon!