Monday, March 11, 2024

Leaving the Social Networks

Do you promise to quit but never do it? 

Weird! A few days ago I couldn't get into my Instagram. And then in none of my Facebook accounts. No password works. I said to myself: they had me. After 13 years in social media I should have expected that sooner or later I was hacked! 

Keep calm dad!

I think it's a bit of a disaster. What with the thousands of people who followed me for years. Well maybe is only half a disaster, I said to myself. After all, who can say that is so bad? But I kept fumbling and swearing for an hour, until my 18 year old, digital born daughter says: it's a global thing, dad! Social networks are down all over the world. Keep calm, they'll be restored soon. And they are indeed a few hours later. 

My laptop and coffee by the Engelbecken pond, Berlin
My laptop and coffee by the Engelbecken pond, Berlin 

I'm almost disappointed. After all it was a great opportunity to set myself free from this digital slavery. To get rid of this illusory circle of unknown friends and followers. Not to mention the tons of stupidity an hate, commercial bombing and atrocity news. 

Fear of disappearing

I promised to leave that for years, but then don't have the courage to cut off! Social media have become just a distraction from serious studio work and an obligation to be on screen every single day! Else you don't exist. 

Maybe I tell myself changes need to be radical. The gradualness that seems a sign of wisdom only increases the agony, the fear of rupture prolongs the suffering. And instead I should say: Yes, delete! 

Happy Art Life! -- Francesco

PS. Mailing letters are different from social platforms: they are more personal and easier to quit. If you don't like mine, please sign out. If you like them instead, invite a friend to sign up and receive my Artist Letters!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. Please come back soon!