Saturday, October 3, 2026

How the Eyes of a Mentor Can Change Your Life

What takes an artist from a simple pencil sketch to a successful exhibition?


Years ago, a man in his early forties came into my studio and timidly showed me a sketchpad filled with simple pencil drawings—mostly inspired by children. Technically, the pages were unpolished. But underneath the raw marks, there was an energy and sensitivity that you simply cannot fake.

He told me he wanted to improve his skills and give direction to this passion he carried every day.

For two years, he came to my studio to master the oil painting process. We didn't dive into figures right away; to build a solid foundation in color and technique, we began with still life and landscapes.

Then one day, I noticed a couple of canvases tucked in the corner of the room. They were rough sketches of two young children—a boy and a girl. The paintings were barely underway, just monochromatic underpaintings in earthy tones with crude shapes. Yet as I looked at them, something struck me. The gaze of those children was deeply intense—more expressive, even in that unfinished state, than many fully completed works.

I urged him to push forward and devote himself to that subject. I even gave him the keys to my studio so he could paint after hours.

Within a month, he produced nearly twenty paintings. They all had a raw, unrefined quality, but the expressions on those faces radiated a powerful emotion.

I didn't hesitate: “It’s time for your first exhibition. You still have a lot to learn, but everything that makes you a true artist is already right here on these canvases.”

He couldn't believe it, but I insisted. My studio was well-equipped and had already hosted shows for other students. He finally agreed, and I helped him price his work at rates he would have never dared to ask on his own.

The exhibition was a resounding success: he sold several pieces and picked up new commissions. I knew right then that this was the turning point—the moment he decided to embrace painting not just as a hobby, but as his life's path.

Soon after, he left his business and opened his own studio. Now, ten years after walking through my doors, he has graduated from the Brera Academy of Fine Arts and creates extraordinary abstract art.

Every time we catch up, he reminds me: “The very first day I set foot in your studio, I told myself: this is what I want to do with my life.”

So why did those children carry such profound expressions? They were his own children, who had moved abroad with their mother two years earlier. Love doesn't require flawless technique to shine through—it just needs eyes and a heart capable of recognizing it.

That was the moment I realized what it truly means to be a mentor: to spot raw talent early on, nurture its growth, recognize the exact right moment to help an artist step into the spotlight, and teach them the real value of their work.

If you paint and feel the need to believe in your potential—to discover what it truly takes to elevate your art—reach out. I offer a private coaching program designed to turn that artistic vision into a concrete reality.

This isn't for everyone; I devote only one day a week to this practice, keeping spots strictly limited.

Click here to send an email to discuss taking the next step together.

Francesco

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. Please come back soon!