Monday, October 16, 2023

What price for your art? Know your value

How to ask more for your talent

~ I was around 25 when I was called by the boss I was already working for, in a famous live jazz organization. He wanted to hire me as press secretary, for he had noticed that as a junior manager of their jazz club, I had shown good communication skills and some attitude I had brought from my time in Paris and London.

Francesco Fontana Artist - Collector in the Studio
Fontana with a collector in the studio

Stellar artists

At theaters and large outdoor venues, headliners were stellar names. One for all Myles Davis! I thought it  was a cool opportunity. I would have had relationships with the media and interviews with music legends! Seeing me excited, the boss asked me point blank:

~ How much do you want?
~ What do you mean?
~ How much per year do you need to live well?

I mumbled something but I wasn't able to put a figure on it.

~ You tell me.. - I said

I accepted the offer he made, it seemed great. But what if I was prepared to figure my value? Years later I would understand that, for funding reasons, he had no interest in keeping costs low. (Italian politics, don't try to understand!). So I could have shot high! 

Millionaire until proof to the contrary

It took me years to make a psychological change and stop basing my requests on the economic standard of my social class. I have learned to value my work more, never less! As far as I know, the potential customer in front of me, it's not the small official my father was, he's by default a millionaire - at least until proven otherwise!

Time for pro bono

I hate having a rich guy pay peanuts for my art, more than I hate losing a client who can't afford it. In this case I always have time to be generous, or do some charity. How do I practically calculate the price of my paintings? Well, ask me and I will explain it to you.

Happy Art Life! -- Francesco

PS: I'm not selling anything today (check my site on weekends for that). I will just be happy to hear your comment on this post and what topic you want to read about next. 

www.francescofontana.com

5 comments:

  1. How do you calculate your pricing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom I sent you an email to answer your question! Cheers!

      Delete
  2. awww - thats the buring questions every artist is asking! why not post it here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Patti, I sent you an email. Yeah I love to share ideas on this blog, but maybe this is the specific.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. Please come back soon!